To inform staff about the principles underpinning the recruitment, selection and appointment of staff at ANU.
ANU principles underpinning the recruitment, selection and appointment of staff.
This Policy applies across the University.
Staff may be categorised as either academic or general staff as defined under Section 2 of the Australian National University Act 1991.
General staff may also be referred to as "professional staff", being staff members who provide administrative, professional and/or technical services to support the University. The terms "general staff" and "professional staff" may be used interchangeably.
- The recruitment, selection and subsequent appointment of staff within the University will be conducted in accordance with this policy and the related procedures.
- The University is committed to the operation of fair and transparent recruitment and selection processes in order to attract, select and retain the highest standard of staff. This requires an equitable, competitive and timely recruitment process. The University seeks to:
- maintain the merit principle of appointing the best candidates through a competitive selection process;
- provide equal opportunity for all candidates;
- promote a diverse workforce, by encouraging members of underrepresented employment groups to consider employment with the University;
- ensure that the selection process is efficient and effective; and
- maintain applicant confidentiality.
- The University acknowledges that Indigenous Australians have suffered injustices in the past. Such injustice has created disadvantage in both educational and employment opportunity/access for Indigenous Australians. In addition, this disadvantage has led to poor social and health outcomes for Indigenous communities. In order to overcome this disadvantage, the University is committed to ensure our human resources policies are applied in such a way that they maximise employment opportunities and ensure a culturally sensitive employment experience for our Indigenous staff.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Purpose||To inform staff about the principles underpinning the recruitment, selection and appointment of staff at ANU|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Employment of Staff|
|Effective Date||1 Dec 2010|
|Review Date||31 Dec 2017|
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
ANU Enterprise Agreement 2017 – 2021
Australian National University Act 1991