Policy: Performance and development – Academic and Professional staff
- ANU values the contribution of staff to the achievement of University goals and aims to provide an environment that nurtures and supports staff, enabling them to optimise their contribution to the University.
- ANU seeks to enable staff to perform at their best through the creation of an environment which develops and supports individuals to achieve their work goals, reach their career potential and maximise their individual contribution to the University throughs:
- establishing clear performance objectives;
- supporting staff through appropriate development and career planning;
- providing staff with career opportunities within the University; and
- developing supervisors to assist them in carrying out their leadership responsibilities effectively.
- Career and Performance Development discussions will be recorded within a Performance Development Agreement in accordance with the Enterprise Agreement. The Performance Development Agreement will herein be referred to as a Performance and Development Review (PDR).
- Effective performance and development processes require a dedicated time investment from supervisors. For the purposes of this process a supervisor will normally be responsible for no more than 10-15 staff.
- Performance objectives will aim to ensure each staff member:
- knows and understands what is expected of them in their position;
- has or has the opportunity to develop the skills and capability to achieve these expectations;
- is provided with an opportunity to discuss their career goals and establish a plan to achieve these goals;
- receives valid and constructive feedback on their progress and achievement;
- has the opportunity to contribute to individual and/or team goals which also contribute to the overall goals of their College/Division and the ANU; and
- receives appropriate recognition for their contribution and achievements.
- Formal review and progress discussions should complement, but not replace, regular timely and constructive feedback and discussion between the supervisor and the staff member about the staff member's progress in meeting defined objectives, resource requirements and development goals.
- Auditing of the Performance and Development Policy will be undertaken periodically to ensure that all eligible staff are participating.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Performance and development – Academic and professional staff|
|Purpose||To outline the guiding principles which underpin performance management practices at the University in accordance with the Career and Performance Development provisions within the Enterprise Agreement.|
|Audience||Staff, Staff-Academic, Prospective Staff, Staff-Professional, Staff-Academic-Research|
|Effective Date||23 Aug 2016|
|Review Date||3 Aug 2021|
|Responsible Officer:||Director, Human Resources|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
ANU Enterprise Agreement 2017 – 2021
On 9 April 2021, the ANU Council assigned authority to approve academic policy to the Academic Board.