Policy: Individual contractors
To inform staff of the University’s stance on engaging individual contractors to provide services to the University.
This document provides the guiding principles associated with the engagement of external contractors employed to provide services by the University.
This Policy applies across the University.
- The legal requirements associated with engaging contractors are significantly different to the legal requirements arising from engaging employees. It is important that prior to entering into a relationship with an individual contractor, the ANU confirms the status of the proposed relationship, and identifies and manages the legal issues and risks arising.
- The ANU will only engage an individual in a contract for services where there is no viable alternative provider/method of engagement.
- It is the responsibility of the delegate to
- confirm the status of the individual as a contractor (as opposed to an employee); and,
- ensure that, where required by the procedure, a written contract is entered into prior to the individual performing any work for the ANU.
Delegations relevant to this policy
- 000220: Purchase goods and services (including the signing of related purchasing contracts) within budget limit.