Policy: Petty cash
To inform staff of petty cash policy.
Principles and delegations for the University’s petty cash policy.
This Policy applies across the University.
- The University provides the option for Business Areas to maintain a petty cash float, subject to compliance with the Petty Cash policy and procedures.
- Petty cash is a last resort payment method, due to the cash handling risks. Staff reimbursements or use of the ANU purchase card facility should be utilised in preference to petty cash.
- The nominated custodian of a petty cash advance has a responsibility to ensure the physical security of the cash.
- The nominated custodian has responsibility to ensure the funds are used for University business purposes only, and adequate records and receipts are held for all payments
- The cash advance must be reconciled and replenished at least four weekly, depending on the amount of cash held.
Delegations Relevant to this Policy
000220: Finance Delegation.
000221: Finance Delegation.