Policy: Petty cash
- The University provides the option for Business Areas to maintain a petty cash float, subject to compliance with the Petty Cash policy and procedures.
- Petty cash is a last resort payment method, due to the cash handling risks. Staff reimbursements or use of the ANU purchase card facility should be utilised in preference to petty cash.
- The nominated custodian of a petty cash advance has a responsibility to ensure the physical security of the cash.
- The nominated custodian has responsibility to ensure the funds are used for University business purposes only, and adequate records and receipts are held for all payments
- The cash advance must be reconciled and replenished at least four weekly, depending on the amount of cash held.
Delegations Relevant to this Policy
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Purpose||To inform staff of petty cash policy|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Finance - Purchasing|
|Effective Date||17 Aug 2015|
|Next Review Date||26 Mar 2021|
|Responsible Officer:||Chief Financial Officer|
|Contact Area||Finance and Business Services|
Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013
On 9 April 2021, the ANU Council assigned authority to approve academic policy to the Academic Board.