Policy: Staff leave
- The University is committed to providing staff with flexible leave arrangements which allow access to paid and unpaid leave for a range of purposes to support the personal needs of staff and the operational requirements of the University.
- The following conditions apply to all types of leave:
- all paid absences will count as service for all purposes
- casual staff are not entitled to paid leave
- a part time staff member is provided the same leave entitlements as a full time staff member in an equivalent position, except that leave will be accrued and paid on a pro rata basis
- if a staff member takes leave at half pay their leave accruals and superannuation contributions will be on a pro rata basis during that period of leave.
- where practicable, all absences must have prior approval
- Staff should give sufficient notice of leave requests to permit consideration of the application and, where the leave request is approved, to permit alternative arrangements being made for the staff members duties
- where a staff member is absent without obtained approval, the University may cease paying that staff member's salary for the duration of the absence. In accordance with the Abandonment of employment procedure, in some circumstances, the University will be entitled to assume that the staff member has abandoned their employment, and take steps to terminate the staff member’s employment.
- All leave applications require approval in accordance with the conditions and approval arrangements specified in the respective procedures and the ANU Delegations.
- Approval of leave beyond those provided for under relevant procedures will require approval from the Chief People Officer or the Vice-Chancellor (or nominee).
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Purpose||To inform staff of the principles that underpin the provision of leave at ANU|
|Audience||Staff, Staff-Academic, Staff-Professional|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Leave & Absences|
|Effective Date||23 Mar 2018|
|Next Review Date||31 Jan 2024|
|Responsible Officer:||Chief People Officer|
|Approved By:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
ANU Enterprise Agreement 2017 – 2021
Long Service Leave (Commonwealth Employees) Act 1976
Maternity Leave (Commonwealth Employees) Act 1973
Information generated and received by ANU staff in the course of conducting business on behalf of ANU is a record and should be captured by an authorised recordkeeping system. To learn more about University records and recordkeeping practice at ANU, see ANU recordkeeping and Policy: Records and archives management.