Policy: Staff leave
To inform staff of the principles that underpin the provision of leave at ANU.
An outline of the principles that underpin the provision of leave at ANU.
This Policy applies across the University.
- The University is committed to providing staff with flexible leave arrangements which allow access to paid and unpaid leave for a range of purposes to support the personal needs of staff and the operational requirements of the University.
- Staff leave is provided for under the ANU Enterprise Agreement and/or as provided for under the respective policy and related procedure.
- The following conditions apply to all types of leave:
- all paid absences will count as service for all purposes
- casual staff are not entitled to paid leave
- a part time staff member is entitled to the same leave and absence entitlements as a full time staff member in an equivalent position, except that leave will be paid on a pro rata basis
- the taking of leave will be calculated on the basis of 12 hours or part thereof for Security Staff working 12-hour shifts at Facilities and Services Division
- if a staff member takes leave at half pay his or her leave accruals and superannuation contributions during the period of leave at half pay will be on a pro rata basis
- where practicable, all absences must have prior approval
- Staff should give sufficient notice to permit consideration of the application and, if approved, to permit alternative arrangements to be made for his/her duties to be fulfilled and
- where a staff member is absent without having obtained prior approval, the University may cease paying that staff member's salary for the duration of the absence. If such unapproved absence is for an extended period, the University will be entitled to assume that the staff member has abandoned his/her employment, and take steps to terminate their employment.
- A Delegate must exercise their delegation to approve a leave application in accordance with the conditions and approval arrangements specified in the respective procedure.
- Approval of leave beyond those provided for through the relevant procedure requires approval of the Director Human Resources or the Vice-Chancellor.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Purpose||To inform staff of the principles that underpin the provision of leave at ANU|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Leave & Absences|
|Effective Date||27 Apr 2012|
|Review Date||31 Dec 2017|
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
The Australian National University Enterprise Agreement 2013 - 2016