To outline the principles and processes which facilitate the redeployment of staff whose position is no longer required or who cannot undertake their current responsibilities due to personal incapacity to work, in accordance with the provisions of the ANU Enterprise Agreement.
Application of redeployment provisions to staff
- The redeployment provisions may apply to staff members holding continuing or fixed term, full-time or part-time employment, whose current position is affected by:
- redundancy, where relevant;
- a medical condition/disability that significantly impacts upon a staff member's ability to carry out the duties of their current position (either temporarily or permanently), and reasonable adjustments are not able to be implemented to enable the staff member to undertake the requirements of the position; or
- an accepted workers' compensation claim under the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 that requires a staff member to undertake duties in a suitable alternative position.
Redeployment Process – Non Medical
- The University will seek to redeploy a staff member whose position is declared surplus into a suitable alternative position within 12 weeks of the staff member’s position being declared surplus in accordance with the ANU Procedure: Managing change and ANU Procedure: Redundancy and severance.
- A suitable alternative position means a position which has substantially the same duties, classification level and career standing as the redundant position, and for which the staff member currently possesses the skills and experience (or could reasonably be expected to develop the required skills within a limited period) to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position.
- Where the University cannot identify a suitable alternative position the staff member may elect to seek redeployment to other positions, including positions at a lower classification. A staff member seeking redeployment will be considered for suitable vacant positions. If the staff member meets the selection criteria for the position, or could be expected to meet the selection criteria with appropriate training within a reasonable timeframe, they will be appointed to the position.
- Where a staff member agrees to be redeployed to a position with a lower classification, salary maintenance of up to 26 weeks for professional staff and up to 12 months for academic staff may be paid at the pre-transfer salary rate.
- A staff member who disagrees with the suitability of a proposed suitable alternative position for redeployment may seek a Review of Decision in accordance with the relevant provision of the Enterprise Agreement, on the basis that the decision will have a detrimental impact on career standing.
- For academic staff who wish to use the redeployment period to find alternative work outside the University, the University will provide reasonable outplacement support and time for job search activities and attending interviews without loss of pay; and, where agreed by the Director – Human Resources, a program of training; reasonable travel and other expenses associated with these activities.
- There will be no impediments to the redeployment of a staff member caused by a transfer of accrued entitlement liability to a receiving area. The staff member will retain continuity of service and leave entitlements.
The Redeployment Process - Medical
- Where a staff member seeks redeployment due to a medical condition, as opposed to their position being declared surplus, the University will ensure that all reasonable efforts are made to redeploy the staff member to suitable alternative employment/duties.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Purpose||To outline the principles and processes to facilitate the redeployment of staff who cannot undertake their current responsibilities due to organisational or workplace change, and/or personal incapacity to work.|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Employment of Staff|
|Effective Date||23 Mar 2018|
|Review Date||23 Mar 2022|
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Approved By:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
ANU Enterprise Agreement 2017 – 2021