Procedure: Prior service recognition
- The Australian National University (ANU) may recognise previous continuous employment with another Australian university or university body or an approved authority as specified in the Long Service Leave (Commonwealth Employees) Act 1976 for the purposes of long service leave and sick leave provided that any break in service between previous employment and commencement at this University does not exceed twelve months.
- Recognition of prior service for the purposes of sick leave will be under exceptional circumstances, and will require Chief People Officer approval.
- If an employee is eligible to be paid out long service leave with their previous employer (the eligibility period for most institutions is ten years) this University will not accept the transfer of any long service leave balances. In this case the previous employer must pay out the long service leave on termination.
- For recognition of service with a previous qualifying employer by ANU:
- forward the Statement of Service form (HR33) to your previous employer. If you have more than one previous employer, you may require more than one form; and
- when the completed form is returned from your previous employer, forward the form to Shared Services Division, Chancelry 10A. Do this only when all previous employers have returned the required information.
- For recognition of previous service at ANU by ANU:
- email email@example.com; and
- request that your previous service with ANU be recognised for long service leave purposes (providing that a break of not more than 12 months as interrupted service periods).
- The Shared Services Division will:
- validate the information on the form;
- assess your eligibility for recognition of prior service; and
- advise you, in writing, of the outcome and of your new leave balances if prior service has been recognised.
- Should you require a statement of service with ANU to take with you to a new employer:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org;
- request a statement of service for long service and sick leave purposes, providing your postal address; and
- the statement will be mailed to your postal address for you to forward to your new employer.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Prior service recognition|
|Purpose||To inform staff of the procedures involved in the recognition of prior service.|
|Audience||Staff, Prospective Staff|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Remuneration & Benefits|
|Effective Date||18 Nov 2022|
|Next Review Date||18 Nov 2027|
|Responsible Officer:||Chief People Officer|
|Approved By:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
ANU Enterprise Agreement 2017 – 2021
Long Service Leave (Commonwealth Employees) Act 1976
Information generated and received by ANU staff in the course of conducting business on behalf of ANU is a record and should be captured by an authorised recordkeeping system. To learn more about University records and recordkeeping practice at ANU, see ANU recordkeeping and Policy: Records and archives management.