Procedure: Prior service recognition
To inform staff of the procedures involved in the recognition of prior service.
- ANU may recognise previous continuous employment with another Australian university or university body or an approved authority as specified in the Long Service Leave (Commonwealth Employees) Act 1976 for the purposes of long service leave and sick leave provided that any break in service between previous employment and commencement at this University does not exceed twelve months.
- Recognition of prior service for the purposes of sick leave will be under exceptional circumstances, and will require Director Human Resources approval.
- If an employee is eligible to be paid out long service leave with their previous employer (the eligibility period for most institutions is ten years) this University will not accept the transfer of any long service leave balances. In this case the previous employer must pay out the long service leave on termination.
- For recognition of service with a previous qualifying employer by the Australian National University:
- forward the Statement of Service form (HR33) to your previous employer. If you have more than one previous employer, you may require more than one form; and
- when the completed form is returned from your previous employer, forward the form to Remuneration & Conditions Branch, Chancelry 10A. Do this only when all previous employers have returned the required information.
- For recognition of previous service at the Australian National University by the Australian National University:
- email email@example.com or write to Remuneration & Conditions Branch, Chancelry 10A, the Australian National University, Acton ACT 2601; and
- request that your previous service with the Australian National University be recognised for long service leave purposes (providing that a break of not more than 12 months as interrupted service periods).
- The Remuneration & Conditions Branch will:
- validate the information on the form;
- assess your eligibility for recognition of prior service; and
- advise you, in writing, of the outcome and of your new leave balances if prior service has been recognised.
- Should you require a statement of service with the Australian National University to take with you to a new employer:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Remuneration & Conditions Branch, Chancelry 10A, the Australian National University, Acton ACT 2601;
- request a statement of service for long service and sick leave purposes, providing your postal address; and
- the statement will be mailed to your postal address for you to forward to your new employer.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Prior service recognition|
|Purpose||To inform staff of the procedures involved in the recognition of prior service.|
|Audience||Staff, Prospective Staff|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Remuneration & Benefits|
|Effective Date||27 Feb 2018|
|Review Date||27 Feb 2020|
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Approved By:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
ANU Enterprise Agreement 2017 – 2021
Long Service Leave (Commonwealth Employees) Act 1976