Procedure: 38 hour week for hospitality staff employed at University House
To outline the procedure for and related processes for staff employed in the Hospitality stream at University House or the University Halls of Residence (the Hospitality Stream) working a 38 hour week.
- Provisions for determining hours of work are provided for under the ANU Enterprise Agreement and the Hours of work procedure.
Ordinary hours of work
- The ordinary hours of work for staff members employed in the Hospitality stream at University House or the University Halls of Residence (the Hospitality Stream) shall be 38 per week in accordance with the Hours of Work procedure.
- The ordinary hours of work for staff members employed in the Hospitality stream shall be 8 per day, 0.4 of which shall accrue towards a paid rostered day off (RDO). By mutual agreement between the University and a staff member, that staff member's hours of work may be worked in accordance with any one of the following cycles:
- 152 hours within a cycle of twenty workdays, nineteen of which are working day and one if an RDO;
- 456 hours within a cycle of sixty workdays, 57 of which are working days and three are RDOs;
- 760 hours within a cycle of 100 workdays, 95 of which are working days and five are RDOs;or
- any other working arrangement mutually agreed between the University and the staff member.
- Days off will be rostered to fall immediately prior or subsequent to a weekend. However, an RDO may be taken midweek by mutual agreement between the University and the staff member.
- Where any agreed RDO falls on a public holiday the preceding or following workday shall be taken in lieu of the RDO unless an alternative day in the relevant work cycle is agreed between the University and the staff member.
Impact of the 38-hour week on leave entitlements
- Staff members are entitled to take leave in accordance with the Staff Leave and Other Absences from ANU policy and related procedures.
- For every day taken as paid leave, the staff member shall accrue 0.4 of an hour towards a paid RDO.
- Where a paid RDO falls within a period of certified sick leave, sick leave credits will not be debited for that day.
- Where a paid RDO falls within a period of paid leave other than sick leave the staff member's credits will be debited at the rate of 8 hours for that day.
Leave without pay
- For each full day taken as leave without pay, the staff member's pay for the day will be reduced by seven hours and 36 minutes.
- For each part of a day taken as leave without pay, the staff member's pay for that day will be reduced by the actual period of absence.
- Unpaid absences, whether approved or not, shall not accrue time towards an RDO.
Payment in lieu of RDOs upon termination of employment
- Where a staff member ceases employment with the University, and has accrued RDO credits that have not been utilised, such credits will be paid for.
- Provided that where the paid period of leave has been taken in anticipation of credits, any shortfall as at the date of termination will be deducted from moneys due.