Procedure: Shift work
To inform staff of employment conditions and approval processes relating to the working of shift work.
- Provisions for shift work are provided for under the ANU Enterprise Agreement and will be in accordance with this procedure.
- The normal hours of work of a staff member engaged on shift work must not exceed 35 per week, 38 per week for a staff member employed in the Hospitality stream of University House and Halls of Residence or 40 per week for 12 hour security staff in Facilities and Services Division (normally with start time of 7.00 am/pm and finish time of 7.00pm/am), when averaged over a cycle of shifts.
- Security officers working 12 hour shift rosters will undergo a biannual fitness assessment, and annual flu injections. The University will provide the staff member with not less than two weeks' notice during their rostered shift that a medical fitness assessment is required, the name and address of the provider, and pay the costs of the medical assessment, tests and any reasonable travelling costs incurred.
Definition of a shift worker
- A shift worker is a staff member who is required by the University to work on a regularly rostered basis outside the normal span of hours.
Annualised shift allowances for Security Officers
- The following annual allowance for security officers (licensed) will be paid in lieu of all shift entitlements:
Security Officer Annualised Shift Allowance ($)
From 8 July 2010 2%
From 7 July 2011 3.5%
From 5 July 2012 4.5%
General application of shift work
- Where shift work is required, the University will provide a shift work roster. Rostered times must not be changed unless at least 7 days' notice is given to the staff member concerned, except that in circumstances beyond the control of the University, the shifts on a roster may be changed with 48 hours' notice or by mutual consent between a staff member and supervisor.
- Subject to the Overtime procedure, time worked by a shift worker outside the rostered hours of work for a shift on any day will be paid at overtime rates. Staff may swap rostered shifts by mutual agreement with themselves and their supervisor.
- Subject to the provisions of clause 12 of the Overtime procedure, where less than 7 days' notice has been given and a staff member is required to work on a rostered day off, the staff member will be paid overtime for the time worked on that day.
Shift work coinciding with daylight savings changeover
- Where a staff member is performing shift work during the daylight savings changeover from standard time to summer time or the reverse, the staff member will be paid for a full shift, no more and no less.
Shift work - penalty rates
- Subject to clause 10 through 13 below, a staff member who works shift work will be entitled to penalty rates in accordance with the following table:
Rate (%of the hourly rate applicable to the appropriate ANU Officer level)
Staff other than casual
Staff other than hospitality
Monday to Friday
Morning shift starts at/after 4.00am & before 6.00am but finishes at/ before midday
Afternoon shift finish after 6.00pm (or 7.30pm for cleaners & security staff) but no later than midnight
Night shift finish after midnight but no later than 8.00am
Hospitality staff -
Monday to Friday
Shift commencing before 6.30am or finish after 7.30pm any day (Monday to Friday inclusive)
Shift where staff are regularly rostered** for at least 6 hours duty after 10.30pm or who is regularly rostered to commence shifts at or before 4.00am
*These rates are inclusive of and not additional to the casual loading referred to in clause 14.7 of the ANU Enterprise Agreement
**The term ‘regularly rostered' applies to the situation where the staff member does not rotate or alternate with other employees on day work so as to give at least 1/3rd of the staff member's working time off night shift.
Part time library shift workers
- A part-time library shift worker will be paid the following rates in substitution of those set out in the table in clause 10 above when required to perform any shift work outside the normal span of hours so defined:
- 115% for any shift worked Monday to Friday;
- 125% for shift work performed on Saturday or Sunday;
- 250% for a public holiday.
- No payment will be applicable where a staff member who would normally have been rostered to work on a day on which Australia Day or public holidays over the Christmas closure period falls (including University closure days) and is not required to work.
Examination invigilators, field interviewers, staff members employed at the Drill Hall Gallery or the School of Arts Gallery
- Examination invigilators, field interviewers, staff members employed at the Drill Hall Gallery or the School of Arts Gallery will not be paid the shift rates provided in clause 10 above but will be paid at the rate of 100% for work required and performed, during any shift as defined in clause 10 above and for any rostered shift work performed on a Saturday or Sunday (other than a public holiday).
Casual staff members employed in the library
- Casual staff members employed in the library will receive the casual loading in the ANU Enterprise Agreement for shift work required, and performed, during any shift as defined in clause 10 above or shift work performed on a Saturday or Sunday (except a public holiday).
Circumstances where shift penalty rates are payable or not payable
- The rates in clause 10 above will not be payable for overtime hours (in which case the rates specified in clause 2 of the Overtime procedure will apply), or where an annualised shift allowance is paid in lieu of penalty rates.
- A shift worker who is on annual leave will, for the period of the leave, continue to be paid the loading that they normally receive.
- Except for those on annualised shift allowances, a shift worker who is on the personal leave or long service leave will, for the period of the leave, not be paid the loading which he or she normally receives.
- A trainee will not work shift work unless such shift work makes provision for approved training.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Purpose||To inform staff of employment conditions and approval processes relating to the working of shift work.|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Employment of Staff|
|Effective Date||19 Dec 2008|
|Review Date||31 Dec 2017|
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Approved By:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
The Australian National University Enterprise Agreement 2013 - 2016