Procedure: Shift work
To inform staff of conditions and relating to shift work in accordance with the ANU Enterprise Agreement.
Casual loading means the 25% loading paid to casual staff in lieu of all paid leave entitlements, including long service leave.
Ordinary hours of work means the ordinary number of hours of work required for a full time, professional staff member in accordance with the ANU Hours of work and related provisions procedure.
Regularly rostered means a situation where a staff member does not rotate or alternate shifts with other staff members on day work, so as to give at least one-third of the staff member's working time off night shift.
Shift worker means a staff member who is required by the University to work on a regularly rostered basis outside the normal span of hours.
Span of hours reflects the time span during which ordinary time rates are payable in accordance with the ANU Hours of work and related provisions procedure.
General application of shift work
- The normal hours of work for a staff member engaged on shift work must not exceed the ordinary hours of work for the appropriate professional staff classification stream, when averaged over a cycle of shifts.
- Where shift work is required, the University will provide a shift work roster which includes the days and times the staff member is required to work. Rostered times must not be changed unless a minimum of seven days' notice is given to the staff member concerned.
- Notwithstanding clause 2 in circumstances beyond the control of the University, the shifts on a roster may be changed with 48 hours' notice or by mutual consent between a staff member and supervisor.
- A Staff member may swap rostered shifts with another staff member by mutual agreement with between the involved staff members and the supervisor.
- Subject to the Overtime procedure, time worked by a shift worker outside the rostered hours of work for a shift on any day will be paid at overtime rates.
- Subject to clause 12 of the Overtime procedure, where less than seven days' notice has been given and a staff member is required to work on a rostered day off, the staff member will be paid overtime for the time worked on that day.
Shift work coinciding with daylight savings changeover
- Where a staff member is performing shift work during the daylight savings changeover from standard time, or the reverse, the staff member will be paid for a full shift, no more and no less.
Shift penalty rates
- Shift penalty rates applicable to casual staff are inclusive of and not additional to the casual loading.
- Subject to clause 10 through 13 below, a staff member who works shift work will be entitled to penalty rates in accordance with the following table:
Rate (%of the hourly rate applicable to the appropriate ANU Officer level)
Staff other than casual
Staff other than hospitality
Monday to Friday
Morning shift starts at/after 4.00am & before 6.00am but finishes at/ before midday
Afternoon shift finish after 6.00pm (or 7.30pm for cleaners & security staff) but no later than midnight
Night shift finish after midnight but no later than 8.00am
Hospitality staff -
Monday to Friday
Shift commencing before 6.30am or finish after 7.30pm any day (Monday to Friday inclusive)
Shift where staff are regularly rostered** for at least 6 hours duty after 10.30pm or who is regularly rostered to commence shifts at or before 4.00am
Part time library shift workers
- A part-time library shift worker will be paid the following rates in substitution of those set out in the table in clause 10 above when required to perform any shift work outside the normal span of hours so defined:
- 115% for any shift worked Monday to Friday;
- 125% for shift work performed on Saturday;
- 150% for shift work performed on Sunday; and
- 250% for a public holiday.
- No payment will be applicable where a staff member who would normally have been rostered to work on a day on which Australia Day or public holidays over the Christmas closure period falls (including University closure days) and is not required to work.
Examination invigilators, field interviewers, staff members employed at the Drill Hall Gallery or the School of Arts Gallery
- Subject to clause 4 of the Overtime procedure, examination invigilators, field interviewers, staff members employed at the Drill Hall Gallery or the School of Arts Gallery will not be paid the shift rates provided in clause 10, but will be paid at the rate of 100% for work required and performed during any shift as defined in clause 10; and for any rostered shift work performed on a Saturday or Sunday (other than a public holiday).
Casual staff members employed in the library
- Casual staff members employed in the library will receive the casual loading in the ANU Enterprise Agreement for shift work required, and performed, during any shift as defined in clause 10 or shift work performed on a Saturday or Sunday (except a public holiday).
Shift worker and leave arrangements
- A shift worker who is on annual leave will, for the period of the leave, continue to be paid the loading that they normally receive.
- Except for those staff members in receipt of an annualised shift allowance, a shift worker who is on the personal leave or long service leave will, for the period of the leave, be paid ordinary hour and not the shift penalty rates which they normally receive.
- A shift worker will be paid at the ordinary time rate, exclusive of penalty rates, for a public holiday which falls on a day that they would have regularly been rostered, except that they would be paid at the public holiday rate for any time actually worked on that day.
- A trainee will not work shift work unless such shift work makes provision for approved training.
Annualised shift allowance
- Annualised shift allowances are designed to create administrative ease for the University and certainty for the staff member. Where a staff member(s) and the University enter into annualised arrangements, such allowances cannot be used to reduce the entitlements that a staff member(s) would otherwise have received through the normal calculations of shift rates when averaged over a year. If agreement cannot be reached, the provisions of this schedule will apply.
- Approval for any annualised arrangement will be in accordance with clause 28.15 of the ANU Enterprise Agreement
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Purpose||To inform staff of employment conditions and approval processes relating to the working of shift work.|
|Audience||Staff-Professional, Staff-Academic, Staff|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Employment of Staff|
|Effective Date||23 Mar 2018|
|Next Review Date||31 Jan 2024|
|Responsible Officer:||Chief People Officer|
|Approved By:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
ANU Enterprise Agreement 2017 – 2021
Information generated and received by ANU staff in the course of conducting business on behalf of ANU is a record and should be captured by an authorised recordkeeping system. To learn more about University records and recordkeeping practice at ANU, see ANU recordkeeping and Policy: Records and archives management.