Procedure: Casual professional staff conditions
This document outlines the employment conditions and procedure for the engagement and payment of casual professional staff at ANU, in accordance with the ANU Enterprise Agreement.
- A casual appointment is one where:
- the staff member is not appointed on an ongoing basis and is normally required to work an irregular pattern of hours on an intermittent or irregular basis;
- there is no expectation of continuity of employment; and
- the appointment may be terminated by providing 1 hour’s notice.
- Notwithstanding clause 1 (above), a casual professional staff member may be appointed where the work involves a regular pattern of hours or is on a regular basis where:
- the appointment is to replace a continuing, continuing (contingent funded) or fixed term staff member who is absent from work, in which case the duration of the appointment must not exceed the period of such absence; or
- the appointment is to fill a vacancy during a selection process; or
- the duration of the appointment is for less than six months; or
- the number of regular hours per fortnight is less than 14.
- Casual staff are not entitled to paid leave, redundancy or severance payments.
Casual professional staff salary
- A casual professional staff member will be employed by the hour and paid an hourly rate. The hourly rate is derived from the annual salary applicable to the appropriate ANU Officer level, plus 25% casual loading in lieu of all paid leave entitlements, including long service leave.
- Casual professional staff are not entitled to incremental progression but may be appointed at any salary step within the relevant ANU Officer level, dependent on prior experience and/or enhanced skills and knowledge.
- Casual professional staff earning in excess of $450/month will receive the minimum Superannuation Guarantee rate. Casual professional staff earning less than $450/month are not entitled to any superannuation payments.
- The minimum engagement for a casual professional staff member is three hours except as follows:
Type of staff member
Minimum engagement per day
Scribes/note takers, attendants/employees in residential colleges or Halls of Residence (including Community Coordinators)
A staff member who has another primary occupation with another employer or the University
- Without limiting the scope of clause 8, a student will be taken as being expected to attend on any Monday to Friday during the main teaching weeks of the University, other than public holidays.
- In order to meet a staff member’s personal circumstances, a casual staff member may request, and the supervisor may agree to an engagement of less than the minimum specified in clause 7.
- Where casual professional staff member works outside of, or in excess of, a work area’s rostered hours, the staff member will be paid overtime in accordance with the following table:
150% of the ordinary rate of pay for the first two hours (first three hours);and 200% of the ordinary rate of pay thereafter
200% of the ordinary rate of pay
250% of the ordinary rate of pay
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Casual professional staff conditions|
|Purpose||To outline the employment conditions for casual professional (general) staff at ANU including remuneration, superannuation, and access to ongoing positions.|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Employment of Staff|
|Effective Date||22 Mar 2018|
|Review Date||23 Mar 2022|
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Approved By:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
ANU Enterprise Agreement 2017 – 2021