Procedure: Public holidays and Christmas closedown
To inform staff of their entitlement to public holidays and arrangements for closure of the University during the Christmas - New Year period.
- The provision of public holidays and the arrangements for the annual closure of the University is provided for under the ANU Enterprise Agreement.
- Any day gazetted or proclaimed as a public holiday, at the location the staff member is working, will be taken on full pay, except that a casual staff member who is not required to work on such a day will not be entitled to payment for that day.
- The public holidays observed each year are:
New years Day
Family and Community Day*
- For information on the specific observed public holidays each year please refer to the ANU's schedule of Public Holidays.
- In order to minimise disruption to teaching and other University business, the University may substitute the Family and Community Day public holiday as a day off in lieu for specified teaching and teaching/student support areas, where such holiday falls in a teaching period. Such substituted day would be taken in conjunction with the Christmas closure. Reasonable notice of this substitution will be provided to students and staff.
- No penalty rates will apply to staff working on a gazetted or proclaimed public holiday substituted in accordance with clause 4 above as long as the staff member is granted a day of in lieu.
- The closure of the University during the Christmas-New Year period will be determined by the Vice-Chancellor. A College Head or Divisional Director may vary these arrangements for an organisational unit in order to meet essential operational or research requirements. Where an organisational unit does close, the staff of that unit will be granted additional paid leave for those days which are not public holidays, and which they would otherwise have worked. Where an organisational unit is closed and a staff member is directed to work, time in lieu will be granted for time worked.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Public holidays and christmas closedown|
|Purpose||To inform staff of their entitlement to public holidays and arrangements for closure of the University during the Christmas - New Year period.|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Leave & Absences|
|Effective Date||7 Sep 2010|
|Review Date||31 Dec 2017|
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Approved By:||Executive Director, Administration and Planning|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
The Australian National University Enterprise Agreement 2013 - 2016