Procedure: Motor Vehicle Disposal
- The University contracts with third party disposal providers to manage the disposal of University owned motor vehicles.
- When compliance with this procedure is not in the best interests of the University, a written and reasoned email of intent is sent to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) by an authorised delegate.
- Prior to the disposal of a University owned motor vehicle, the authorised delegate approves the disposal by completing the Asset Disposal form.
- The University Procurement and Contract Office (UPCO) advises the authorised delegate and vehicle custodian on arrangements to transport the vehicle to the nominated disposal service provider.
- Business areas are responsible for ensuring the vehicle is prepared for disposal with:
- all spare keys;
- service records logbook;
- vehicle manuals;
- registration papers; and
- ANU parking labels removed.
- The disposal service provider assess the University owned motor vehicle and provides a reserve price for UPCO and the authorised delegate to review and confirm.
- The University disposes University owned motor vehicles in one of three methods (unless specified otherwise by the CFO):
- pre-auction for the ANU community (fixed price sale): the University community is provided with an exclusive opportunity to purchase University owned motor vehicles; or
- direct to dealership (fixed price sale): a University owned motor vehicle is sold directly to a dealership; or
- general vehicle auction: a University owned motor vehicle is sold through a general auction method and where the motor vehicle is not successfully sold, alternate options are considered.
Delegations relevant to this policy
- 000234: Finance Delegation: Approve the disposal of goods, services and costs by various means including sale.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Motor vehicle disposal|
|Purpose||This document provides support to the Vehicle Disposal Policy and outlines University and individual responsibilities, and provides further detail on how to implement and comply with the policy.|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Travel & Transport - Vehicles|
|Effective Date||25 Aug 2022|
|Next Review Date||25 Aug 2027|
|Responsible Officer:||Chief Financial Officer|
|Approved By:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Contact Area||Finance and Business Services|
Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013
Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Rule 2014
Information generated and received by ANU staff in the course of conducting business on behalf of ANU is a record and should be captured by an authorised recordkeeping system. To learn more about University records and recordkeeping practice at ANU, see ANU recordkeeping and Policy: Records and archives management.