Procedure: Protective clothing equipment
To inform staff of the principles associated with protective clothing and equipment in the University.
- Protective clothing and equipment is issued as part of managing workplace risks at the University. In many situations protective clothing and equipment reduces the residual risk of workplace hazards to an acceptable level.
- Protective clothing may be with or without ANU branding.
- Where University management requires a staff member to wear protective clothing, including clothing for protection from the elements, the protective clothing will be supplied and maintained by the Budget Unit.
- On cessation of employment, the staff member will return all items of protective clothing provided under this procedure.
- The staff member is responsible for the regular inspection of the protective clothing.
- Contaminated protective clothing (e.g. laboratory coats) should be laundered by a specialised laundry service.
- Staff members may be liable for the cost of replacement items if the loss or damage is a result of negligence or abuse.
Personal protective equipment
- Where a University OHS Procedure, Risk Assessment, Safe Work Method Statement or Job Safety Analysis requires a staff member to wear personal protective equipment, the Budget Unit of the University will supply the equipment. That equipment must be fit for purpose.
- Suitable training in the safe use and maintenance of the protective equipment shall be provided or arranged through a staff member's Supervisor. The Work Environment Group (Human Resources Division) may be contacted for information and advice.
- Where a risk of exposure to a hazard(s) exists, staff and students are required to wear the appropriate personal protective equipment.
- The staff member is responsible for the regular inspection, cleaning and routine maintenance of the equipment. The Budget Unit will purchase spare parts and items for the upkeep of the equipment.
- On cessation of employment, the staff member will return the protective equipment provided under this procedure, on the request of their local area.
- Staff members may be liable for the cost of replacement equipment if the loss or damage is a result of negligence or misuse.
- Staff members should consult their supervisor if the protective equipment or clothing is uncomfortable or does not fit properly.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Protective clothing equipment|
|Purpose||To inform staff of the principles associated with protective clothing and equipment in the University|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Health & Working Safely|
|Effective Date||25 Jun 2009|
|Review Date||26 Sep 2012|
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Approved By:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|