Procedure: Staff achievement awards
To inform staff of the local achievement/award recognition process.
- The aim of this procedure is to provide guidance at the budget centre level for the recognition of the outstanding achievements of academic and professional staff.
- A College Dean/College Director or Administrative Director may introduce a local achievement award program that recognises individual or team contribution over and above that normally expected of staff, and where other reward or recognition options are not appropriate.
- The recognition program may take the form of a certificate of appreciation and a small tangible award in the form of a gift voucher or some other gift normally up to a maximum value of $299 (per any one employee per Fringe Benefits Tax year (1 April - 31 March), and shall not include any form of entertainment (e.g. movie/sporting tickets, dinner vouchers etc) so as not to incur FBT. Awards are not bonus payments and must not involve a cash or salary payment.
- An award with a value over $299 (that are not trophies, medallions, plaques & certificates) will attract Fringe Benefit Tax and must be coded by the area in the ledger to '5581'. If the award, is 'an award for long service' there are some FBT concessions. Email email@example.com to determine if these concessions apply. See the Property Fringe Benefits page for further information.
- As the emphasis of these programs is on recognition, typically the award should be presented formally at local staff meetings to allow colleagues to acknowledge and celebrate the achievement.
- It is suggested that the local area use a range of awards normally up to the $299 limit to recognise different levels of achievement within their area.
- The recognition program should involve a simple nomination and approval process around identified criteria such as achievements/innovation, teamwork, leadership and/or excellence in research/teaching or support services relevant to the normal operation of the area. The program must not be used as a way of providing regular incentives to a particular employee or group of employees.