Procedure: Appointment of supervisors
To inform staff of the appropriate procedure for appointing supervisors.
- Each staff member will have a nominated supervisor and will be advised in writing of the position of that person.
- The University may vary a supervisor during a staff member's period of employment. The University will usually notify staff in writing of a change of supervisor but this is not applicable for acting or short term arrangements. (See temporary transfer procedure.)
- The supervisor of an academic staff member will normally be the Head of the academic unit in which the staff member is employed.
- The University may appoint an alternative academic supervisor, especially in the following circumstances:
- Where there are a large number of staff in the academic unit and supervision of such a large number of staff is impracticable;
- Where there is an actual or perceived conflict of interest between the staff member and the supervisor; or
- Where there has been a breakdown of the supervisory and employee relationship and a change in supervisor is considered an effective strategy to manage the situation.
- The nominated supervisor will need to be assigned the supervisory delegations, including the necessary HRMS system changes.
- A change in supervisor is unlikely to be arranged by the University where performance issues have arisen and are being actively managed.
- The College Dean (or other senior manager, such as the School Director) may be regarded as the supervisor in instances of managing underperformance and misconduct.
- Where both the supervisor and staff member agree that a change in supervisor will benefit all parties, a request may be made to the appropriate area delegate.
- Where the staff member wishes to seek a change of supervisory arrangement without the involvement of their current supervisor, they may do so through the appropriate area delegate.
- Where the supervisor wishes to seek a change of supervisory arrangement without the involvement of the staff member, they may do so through the appropriate area delegate.
- As a result of any change to a staff supervisory arrangement, both parties are expected to update the Performance and Development Review as necessary.