Procedure: Staff representation
- The framework for staff consultation at the ANU is provided for in the ANU Staff Consultation and organisational change policy.
- Staff may choose to be represented by suitably qualified representatives, including:
- a supervisor or manager - either from within their direct reporting line or from elsewhere within the University;
- a colleague who has experience in mediation or similar skills;
- a staff member whose role is to assist with staffing matters, such as a Human Resources representative, and Equity and Diversity representative, the Staff Counsellor, or a person from the University's Employment Assistance Program;
- a member of the University Staff Consultative Committee; or
- where the staff member is a member of a union, their union representative.
- There are occasions when staff may wish to be accompanied by a family member. Under these circumstances the family member may act as a support person, but may not represent the staff member, unless the staff member is suffering from an illness and is not able to represent themselves.
- Staff may not request legal representation unless they are directly involved in a formal disciplinary process and the University is considering termination of their employment.
- The University recognises the important contribution that staff representatives make to employment relations within the University. Training and support will be provided to those staff who fulfill this role, and they will be given adequate time away from their normal role/s to act as a staff representative.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Purpose||To establish the procedures for staff representation|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Delegations|
|Effective Date||1 Apr 2019|
|Next Review Date||1 Apr 2024|
|Responsible Officer:||Chief People Officer|
|Approved By:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
Information generated and received by ANU staff in the course of conducting business on behalf of ANU is a record and should be captured by an authorised recordkeeping system. To learn more about University records and recordkeeping practice at ANU, see ANU recordkeeping and Policy: Records and archives management.