Procedure: Abandonment of employment
To outline the procedure for managing abandonment of employment and of the circumstances which constitute abandonment of employment.
- Abandonment of employment is when a staff member leaves their employment without notice or any apparent intention of resuming it.
- The University will interpret certain behaviours to indicate that a staff member has no intention of resuming their employment. These include:
- absence from the University without obtaining approval for such absence;
- absence from the University without giving due and proper notice;
- failure to return to the University at the end of an approved absence;
- failure to respond to communications from the University seeking an explanation about an unauthorised absence.
- The occurrence of one or more of the above indicators or any other event that gives rise to a reasonable belief that the staff member has abandoned their employment will entitle the University to deduce that the staff member has terminated their employment by way of abandonment.
- The University will take all reasonable steps to contact an absent staff member before concluding that they have abandoned their employment. Where, after a three week period, the staff member has not responded to communication from the ANU they will be considered to have abandoned their employment and action may be taken to terminate their employment.
- All such cases shall be referred by the College Dean or Service Division Director to the Director – Human Resources. The Director – Human Resources is the Delegate and line of authority on termination of employment.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Abandonment of employment|
|Purpose||To outline the procedure for managing abandonment of employment and to advise staff of the circumstances which constitute abandonment of employment.|
|Audience||Staff, Staff-Academic, Staff-Professional|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Employment of Staff|
|Effective Date||1 Apr 2019|
|Review Date||31 Dec 2021|
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Approved By:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|