Procedure: Transport officer responsibilities
To inform staff of the University Transport Officer responsibilities.
- The local nominated Transport Officer is responsible for:
- Vehicle Booking Arrangements
- Maintaining a vehicle booking log for vehicle booking arrangements.
- Regular reporting on the usage of vehicles to the local Delegate.
- Maintaining a register for their area of Persons Authorised by the Delegate to drive a University Vehicle.
- Maintaining a record for their area of Applications for After Hours Use of a University Vehicle (Non Field Trips or Long Journeys).
- Ensuring an Official University logbook (running sheet) is stored in every non-executive University vehicle.
- Notifying drivers of all non-executive vehicles of the need to record all trips in an official University logbook (running sheet).
- Providing information (from logbooks (running sheets), vehicle booking records and other sources) to their local delegate and Finance and Business Services for Fringe Benefits Tax reporting purposes.
Repairs and Maintenance
- Arranging, through University Fleet Services (UFS) preferred supplier arrangements, for servicing, maintenance, warranty work, repairs to accident damage and the registration of vehicles.
- Ensuring that all vehicles are regularly inspected (tyres, tyre pressure, fluid levels, etc.) and are kept in good working order.
Safety and Security of Vehicle
- Being the custodian of vehicle keys and retaining duplicate sets of keys
- Ensuring that vehicles are securely locked at the close of business each day and are parked in well-lit areas.
- Fuel card control/return, including ensuring all drivers using local vehicles are providing odometer readings when fuel is purchased and ensuring fuel cards are with the vehicle it is handed to Fleet Services for disposal.
Delegations relevant to this procedure
- 000236: Authorise home garaging of University vehicles within the budget unit
- 000237: Authorise home garaging for all University vehicles including where an FBT benefit will be payable for greater than 6 months