Procedure: Travel - class of air travel
To inform staff travelling on ANU business of the University’s procedure on the appropriate selection of class of air travel.
- Members of Council travelling on Council business are entitled to business class air travel.
- Members of review and selection committees fly economy except if approval to travel premium economy or business class is granted as per the conditions specified in paragraph 5.
- Staff fly economy except if approval to travel premium economy or business class is granted as per the conditions specified in paragraph 5 or if provided for in the individual's employment contract.
- For air travel over six hours, and subject to the availability of funds, the occupants of the following positions may travel business class or premium economy:
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor
- Pro Vice-Chancellor
- Executive Director (Administration and Planning)
- College Deans and Dean of Medical School
- Director of a Research School
- Director, Service Division
- In special cases the College Dean, for College staff, or Executive Director (Administration and Planning), for all other staff, may approve an application to fly premium economy or business class where:
- the staff member has an identified medical disability or there is some other physical reason that may present a risk to the travellers health or safety; or
- the staff member pays for the difference between discount economy and the approved higher class at his/her own expense; or
- the trip is paid by outside funds and the external cost is approved by the external body; or
- in rare cases where there are other exceptional circumstances to warrant the higher cost.
- Normally a discount economy fare should be sought unless the circumstances of the travel require more flexible arrangements on flight changes and there is a reasonable likelihood the penalties involved would exceed that savings made by purchasing the cheaper fare.