- Flexitime arrangements may be adopted subject to the agreement of the Delegate having authority to regulate such arrangements. Such arrangements must be consistent with the operating requirements of the work area. Not all work areas will lend themselves to flexitime.
Management of Flexitime
Variable and Core Hours
- The Delegate determines the variable and core times. Variable time is the time when staff members may exercise flexibility; core time is the time when all staff members are normally required to be present at work. Approval of the Supervisor must be sought by the staff member to be absent during core times.
- The accounting period will normally be 4 working weeks in which a total of 140 hours must be worked.
- Agreement must be documented and records kept of start and finish times.
Credit and Debit Hours
- Any hours worked in excess of the prescribed number of hours are known as credit hours. Conversely, any hours worked short of the prescribed number of hours are known as debit hours.
- Subject to local area manager, credit/debit hours may be carried over to the next accounting period subject to a maximum of 2 days. Subject to local area manager, the maximum debit allowed in any accounting period is 2 days.
- Leave taken for part of a day is recredited in terms of hours and minutes within the standard work hours timetable.
- The Delegate may review arrangements from time to time.
- Your Business Manager or HR Manager
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Purpose||A guideline on the use of formal flexitime arrangements (flexible working hours).|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Employment of Staff|
|Effective Date||16 Jul 2015|
|Next Review Date||31 Jan 2024|
|Responsible Officer:||Chief People Officer|
|Approved By:||Chief People Officer|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
ANU Enterprise Agreement 2017 – 2021
Information generated and received by ANU staff in the course of conducting business on behalf of ANU is a record and should be captured by an authorised recordkeeping system. To learn more about University records and recordkeeping practice at ANU, see ANU recordkeeping and Policy: Records and archives management.