Guideline: Food and drink in the libraries
This guideline is intended to preserve our library materials, computer equipment, and furnishings, and to maintain a pleasant environment for our users and staff.
The guideline supports the implementation of Information Infrastructure and Services Rule 2015, section 6, in publically accessible areas in the ANU libraries and archives.
- These guidelines apply whether or not the Library is staffed and during 24/7 access to Library spaces.
- University libraries provide an environment for learning and research. Users are expected to protect the collections and facilities when bringing food and/or drink into the libraries.
- To protect library and archival collections and facilities food and drink is not permitted in the following areas:
- Near computers, printers, photocopiers, and multi-media equipment (bottled water excepted)
- Group study rooms (bottled water excepted)
- The Archives reading room
- Library users are mindful of the needs of other people, by placing all rubbish in the bins provided, advising library staff of any spills, and leaving the library free of litter including cans, bottles, and food containers.
- Library users may consume:
- cold food or snacks in most areas of the libraries; and
- hot and cold drinks, provided they are in a covered container, for example, a bottle with a cap or cup with a lid.
- Library users may not consume hot food in the libraries, and if they do so, will be asked to remove the food and containers from the library.
- Facilities for the consumption of food and drink in Hancock Library West include a microwave in the student networking space on Level 3. Food heated in the microwave is only eaten in this area and is not taken anywhere else in the library.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Food and drink in the libraries|
|Purpose||This guideline is intended to preserve our library materials, computer equipment, and furnishings, and to maintain a pleasant environment for our users and staff.|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Buildings & Grounds - Access & Use|
|Effective Date||3 Jun 2016|
|Review Date||3 Jun 2019|
|Responsible Officer||University Librarian and Director, Scholarly Information Services|
|Approved By:||University Librarian and Director, Scholarly Information Services|
|Contact Area||Library, Archives and University Records|
Information Infrastructure and Services Rule 2015