Guideline: Higher Degree Research Academic Network Convenors
To set out the role and responsibilities of HDR Academic Network Convenors.
- This document should be read in conjunction with the Research Awards Rules.
- Higher Degree Research (HDR) students are enrolled in Colleges which provide both academic supervision and resources under the direction of the head of the academic unit and ultimately of the College Dean. At the same time, HDR students may be affiliated with an HDR Academic Network covering a discipline or area of studies across the University.
- HDR Academic Network Convenors play an important role in supporting HDR education and in facilitating cross-College collaboration on HDR matters. The Convenors can be an important early contact for newly enrolled students and they are involved in organising academic and social activities that enrich the educational experience of HDR students.
- The role of HDR Academic Network Convenors is advisory and supportive and delegations for HDR candidature reside with the Delegated Authorities and Academic Deans.
- Duties may include:
- provision of advice to prospective students on potential topics, supervisors and academic locations. This advice is particularly important where disciplines or areas of studies span a number of Colleges and prospective students are likely to require guidance on possible academic locations;
- convening of regular meetings of academic staff involved in the discipline or area of research to discuss HDR education;
- provision of advice to Colleges on the academic merit of applications for HDR admission and scholarships;
- provision of advice and support to Colleges on the development and delivery of HDR coursework;
- provision of advice to Colleges on enhancement of postgraduate education; and
- provision of support for student induction, seminars, retreats, social events and other aspects of HDR academic life.
- It is up to the HDR Academic Network Convenors and the academics involved in the relevant discipline or area of study to determine their meeting schedules and operating guidelines.
- The HDR Academic Network Convenors are chosen by the academic staff involved in the discipline or area of study. When a new Convenor is chosen details should be provided to the relevant College Deans, the Pro Vice -Chancellor (Research & Research Training) and the HDR recruitment officer.
- In some cases Colleges may provide resources to the HDR Academic Network Convenors to support them in their activities.