Policy: Adjustments for students who disclose a disability
- The University supports the right of people with disabilities to be involved in higher education.
- The University fosters and encourages among its staff and students positive, informed and unprejudiced attitudes towards people with disabilities and makes provision, insofar as resources may reasonably permit, for any service needed by or for people with impairments.
- The University takes positive steps to encourage people to seek admission to the University regardless of impairment or disability and applies the principle of reasonable adjustment in providing access to any benefit provided by the University, equivalent to its staff and students who do not have a disability.
- The University recognises the right of students with disabilities to have reasonable adjustments made to academic policies, procedures and practices to address the effects of their disabilities.
- the University considers that disclosure of the information is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious threat to the life, safety or health of any person, or
- to public health or safety, and it is unreasonable or impractical to obtain the student’s prior consent to the disclosure, or
- the disclosure is required by law.
|Printable version (PDF)
|Adjustments for students who disclose a disability
|To set out the principles, for disclosure to the University of the effects of a disability by a student, and to clarify rights and responsibilities associated with, and as a result of the disclosure of information regarding a person’s disability.
|Students, Prospective Students, Staff
|Equity & Diversity - Equity
|8 Sep 2020
|Next Review Date
|8 Sep 2025
|Registrar, Student Administration
|Division of Student Administration and Academic Services
Australian National University Act 1991
Work Health & Safety Act 2011
Disability Discrimination Act 1992
Disability Standards for Education 2005
Privacy Act 1988
Information generated and received by ANU staff in the course of conducting business on behalf of ANU is a record and should be captured by an authorised recordkeeping system. To learn more about University records and recordkeeping practice at ANU, see ANU recordkeeping and Policy: Records and archives management.