Procedure: Identified positions
- The University has an express commitment to equal opportunity in employment and is committed to implementing strategies to increase the diversity of backgrounds and perspectives of the University community.
- The University supports actions aimed at increasing employment opportunities for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander persons and women.
- Positions may be advertised as Identified Positions in the following circumstances:
- as part of special measures aimed at increasing representation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander staff to meet the employment targets under the ANU Enterprise Agreement; and
- as part of special measures aimed at increasing representation of women in areas of the University where women are under-represented.
- The Recruitment Services Branch of Human Resources Division must be notified of an intention to advertise an Identified Position.
- The area seeking to place the advertisement must submit the recruitment and selection documentation to the Director, Human Resources for approval.
- The selection documentation must be accompanied by details about representation of the disadvantaged group(s) in the area for which the position is being advertised, any relevant previous actions aimed at increasing employment opportunities and how the identified position will increase representation and promote equality.
- Advertisements must include the following information:
- the personal attributes that are the basis for the identified position.
- a statement that the Identified Position is an equal employment opportunity measure aiming to increase representation by the target group in accordance with the University Identified Positions Procedure.
- Examples of wording for advertisements are:
- ‘This is an identified position in accordance with the University’s Identified Positions Procedure.'
- ‘The filling of this position is intended to constitute a special measure and is aimed at increasing employment opportunities for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander persons in line with the strategies in the ANU Enterprise Agreement.'
- ‘The filling of this position is intended to constitute a special measure and is aimed at increasing employment opportunities for women in the workplace where women have been, and continue to be, underrepresented.’
- Where relevant, advertisements should be placed in specialist media that would be likely to attract members of the target group and members of the target group will be included in selection panels.
- The selection process will be based on merit against the selection criteria. Applicants must address the selection criteria.
- The University may establish an eligibility list from the field of applicants for an identified position in order to fill future vacancies.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Identified positions (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people/women)|
|Purpose||To outline the approval requirements for advertising identified positions at the University including definitions, approval process, and advertising.|
|Audience||Staff, Staff-Professional, Staff-Academic|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Staff - Employment of Staff|
|Effective Date||23 Mar 2022|
|Review Date||23 Mar 2018|
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Approved By:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
Australian National University Act 1991
Racial Discrimination Act 1975
Sex Discrimination Act 1984
Discrimination Act 1991