Policy: Student surveys and evaluations
- To determine the process to be followed for surveys and evaluations required to be completed by students.
- The policy covers the main aspects of student surveys and evaluations conducted within the University.
- This policy applies to all students and staff.
- Collecting and responding to student surveys and evaluations is an important means of enhancing the quality of teaching, learning and the student experience
- The University gathers and reports on student surveys and evaluations using ethical, systematic and rigorous processes, consistent with the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency Threshold Standards
- Student surveys and evaluations are used in conjunction with other sources of data to inform education-related decision making
- The University has a responsibility to:
- Make the existence and timing of feedback mechanisms known to students in a timely fashion
- Actively promote surveys to engage students in the feedback process
- Ensure ethical procedures and confidentiality are upheld and regularly assessed
- Maintain all survey data, consistent with relevant legislation
- Maintain a register of approved surveys in Planning & Performance Measurement (PPM)
- Provide information, guidance and support to students and staff in relation to surveys
- Students have a responsibility to:
- Contribute constructive, honest and thoughtful responses to surveys. Survey responses should not be derogatory or vindictive.
- Recognise their important role in contributing to improvements in teaching, learning and the broader student experience
- Teaching staff have a responsibility to:
- Encourage students to participate in survey and evaluation processes
- Reflect upon student feedback and actively respond, where possible, to improve the quality of teaching and learning and to provide information, guidance and support to students in enhancing their learning experience.
- Maintain their own personal records of survey and evaluations responses, with due regard for the confidentiality of the data
- Ensure confidentiality and ethical procedures are upheld
- Surveys are approved by the ANU Human Research Ethics Committee, unless used for quality assurance or business intelligence purposes only.
- All mechanisms to gather student feedback are conducted in an ethical manner.
- Student participation in student surveys and evaluations is voluntary
- Where respondents can be identified through the collection mechanism, unique demographic characteristics, or identifiable content in open-ended comments, survey responses are treated as confidential, consistent with the Procedure: Prevention of Discrimination, Harassment and Bullying
- Students concerned about an unethical use of survey responses may seek advice by writing to the Dean of Students.
Incentives / permits
- Students are made aware of any incentive offered for participating in student surveys and evaluations.
- Prizes are issued, consistent with ACT legislation (http://www.gamblingandracing.act.gov.au/industry/lotteries/trade-promotion).
- The extraction and use of student data for survey populations and administration is protected, consistent with the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 and the University’s Statement to Students on Protection of Personal Information.
Use of student feedback
- University Executive, Academic Quality Assurance Committee and its sub-committees, Colleges, teaching staff and service divisions use student feedback as one of the sources of data to:
- Improve the quality of courses and programs
- Improve the quality of the student experience
- Support the scholarship of teaching
- Inform professional development programs
- Improve the provision of learning resources and support services
- Teaching staff are encouraged to use student feedback as one of the sources of evidence of teaching quality for the purposes of appointment, promotion and teaching awards.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Student surveys and evaluations|
|Purpose||To determine the process followed for surveys and evaluations required to be completed by students.|
|Effective Date||2 Jan 2020|
|Review Date||2 Jan 2023|
|Responsible Officer:||Registrar, Student Administration|
|Contact Area||Division of Student Administration and Academic Services|