Guideline: Lost property
This document supports an efficient and effective lost property management system. To establish processes to ensure accountability and transparency of process and coordinate the retrieval, storage and disposal of items found on the ANU Campus.
- The lost and found office is located with the Facilities & Services Division (F&S), #124 Innovations Building (entrance from Garran Road). Email: email@example.com.
- All found items will be processed by F&S administrative staff
- In accordance with the Uncollected Goods Act 1996 administrative staff will record the found item in the database. ID numbers will be generated automatically
- Proof of ownership must be provided when claiming a lost item
- Passports will be immediately passed onto Security, who will deliver them to the police station
- Student cards are delivered by Security to Student Administration, Di Riddell Student Centre (building 154)
- Abandoned bicycles will be managed by Security
- Abandoned motor vehicles will be managed by the parking office.
Disposal of items found:
Items will be kept as follows:
- Perishable goods: disposed of immediately (anything that might pose a risk to public health if kept including food and beverage containers)
- Goods of no value (less than $20 in value): kept for 7 days
- Good of low value (between $20 and $500 in value): kept for 1 month
- Goods of significant value (over $500 in value): kept for 3 months
- If the item has not been collected within these time frames, Security will dispose of the item as follows
- All books will be delivered to student services for reallocation to students
- USBs will be wiped clean and delivered to student services for reallocation to students
- All electronic cords/adaptors etc. will be delivered to student services for reallocation to students
- All other items will be delivered to charity.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Purpose||To provide guidelines in respect to the management of lost and found property at ANU|
|Audience||Staff, Students, Affiliates|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Buildings & Grounds|
|Effective Date||21 May 2020|
|Next Review Date||21 May 2025|
|Responsible Officer:||Director, Facilities and Services|
|Approved By:||Director, Facilities and Services|
|Contact Area||Facilities and Services|
Information generated and received by ANU staff in the course of conducting business on behalf of ANU is a record and should be captured by an authorised recordkeeping system. To learn more about University records and recordkeeping practice at ANU, see ANU recordkeeping and Policy: Records and archives management.