Policy: Staff consultation and organisational change
- The University values the contribution that staff make to the research, education and community engagement activities of the University and provides opportunities for staff participation in decision-making through staff consultation.
- The University is committed to meeting the strategic challenges of the future through effective staff consultation; and will strive to ensure a timely and consultative approach when managing workplace change.
Individual staff consultation
- Managers and supervisors will consult directly with staff on day-to-day matters which affect a staff member's employment.
- Staff are encouraged to raise any concerns they may have about their employment directly with their supervisor.
- Where a staff member feel that they unable to adequately raise their concerns or respond to matters raised by their supervisor, the staff member may request assistance from a staff representative in accordance with the staff representation procedure. The staff representative may provide the staff member with advice and accompany them to meetings.
Work area consultation
- Where there are matters which relate to a work area, the work area may seek assistance from staff representative/s in addressing the particular matter.
- Subject to clause 6 (above), the role of the staff representative will be to provide advice to the staff member and, if appropriate, to accompany them to meetings. At the request of staff, there may be occasions where the manager of a work area consults directly with staff representative/s as part of an overall consultative process.
- The management of workplace change will be conducted in accordance with relevant legislation, the ANU Enterprise Agreement and the University policy framework.
- The University recognises that while workplace change should ideally be planned and supported by University planning processes, external and /or internal influences sometimes necessitate a more immediate response.
- The managing change consultation process will include all staff members who may be directly affected as well as the relevant union(s).
- The University will make available support, such as counselling and career development, to staff affected by the change process.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Staff Consultation and Organisational Change|
|Purpose||To outline the policy framework for the management of change at ANU.|
|Audience||Staff, Staff-Professional, Staff-Academic, Staff-Academic-Research|
|Effective Date||15 Oct 2018|
|Review Date||31 Mar 2022|
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
ANU Enterprise Agreement 2017 – 2021
Higher Education Support Act 2003
Australian National University Act 1991
Fair Work Act 2009