Procedure: Teaching in a language other than English
To outline the standards that underpin the delivery of programs and courses in languages other than English, that do not have as their primary purpose education in language proficiency.
Program and course accreditation
- Proposals for programs and courses in languages other than English that do not have as their primary purpose education in language proficiency are first considered by the relevant ANU College(s). Consideration includes:
- Admission standards, with the expectation that standards will be the same as for programs delivered in English;
- The appointment of external examiner who is proficient in English and the language of instruction and expert in the relevant discipline. Where required a registered interpreter may also be employed to ensure the correct translation of course materials;
- Staff proficiency in English and the language of instruction;
- Quality assurance arrangements proposed for monitoring the equivalence of any assessment tasks that are completed in English with those in the language of instruction and student outcomes for the programs or courses;
- Provision of examination conditions that satisfy University requirements;
- If endorsed, proposals are submitted for University Education Committee consideration via the Academic Standards and Quality Office (mailto:email@example.com). Acceptance on the agenda of University Education Committee agenda is predicated upon the endorsement of the Academic Standards and Quality Office and International Strategy and Partnerships.
- If endorsed by University Education Committee by at least a 75 per cent majority, the proposal is submitted for Academic Board Accreditation.
Monitoring and review
- All programs and courses taught and/or assessed in a language other than English that do not have as their primary purpose education in a language other than English are reviewed in accordance with the Academic Programs and Course Accreditation procedures and will include as an Appendix a statement of assessment on all points addressed in the original submission to Academic Board.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Teaching in a language other than english|
|Purpose||To outline the standards that underpin the delivery of programs and courses in languages other than English that do not have, as their primary purpose, education in language proficiency.|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Students - Assessment, Academic Progress & Appeals|
|Effective Date||12 May 2014|
|Review Date||11 May 2017|
|Responsible Officer||Registrar, Student Administration|
|Approved By:||Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)|
|Contact Area||Division of Student Administration|