To articulate the University’s standards for coursework student admissions, and support efficient and effective application processes
This policy sets out principles and policies for student admissions.
This policy applies to the University’s coursework programs, including non-award studies. It does not apply to higher degrees by research.
- The University has admission standards that:
- are clear, concise, equitable and transparent;
- ensure that students have adequate prior knowledge and skills, including English language proficiency, to succeed in the program;
- are consistent with the Australian Qualifications Framework, and take account of external benchmarking;
- support the University in achieving strategic goals in provision of a world class student experience and diversity of student body.
Admissions standards accreditation
- Academic Quality Assurance Committee (AQAC) endorses, and Academic Board approves coursework admissions standards for a maximum period of five years. Admissions standards include:
- minimum English language requirements; and
- minimum academic qualification.
- The University’s academic colleges may propose additional program-specific eligibility criteria and prerequisites, which are endorsed by Academic Quality Assurance Committee and approved by Academic Board.
- Admissions standards for each of the University’s coursework programs are reviewed at least every five years, although Academic Quality Assurance Committee or Academic Board may trigger a shorter review cycle on the basis of evidence relating to student outcomes, breaches, conflicts of interest or quality assurance.
- Any breaches in admissions standards are reported to Academic Quality Assurance Committee, Academic Board and the Vice Chancellor.
- Applicants who meet the eligibility criteria for admission into their proposed program of study may be offered a place in the program. Eligibility for admission into a program does not guarantee selection into a program.
- All applicants will receive a formal notification of outcome, which can be:
- a full offer; or
- a conditional offer; or
- an unsuccessful letter.
- Informal communications are not formal outcomes and cannot be accepted or taken as formal advice on an application.
- Review of admissions decisions and appeals are undertaken in accordance with ANU Coursework Awards Rule.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Purpose||To articulate the University’s standards for coursework student admissions, and support efficient and effective application processes.|
|Audience||Prospective Students, Students-Graduate-Coursework, Students-Undergraduate, Staff-Professional|
|Effective Date||31 Aug 2018|
|Review Date||31 Aug 2021|
|Responsible Officer||Registrar, Student Administration|
|Contact Area||Division of Student Administration|
Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000
National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018
Coursework Awards Rule 2016 (No. 2)