Policy: Noel Butlin Archives Centre collecting
- The NBAC seeks to acquire records based on the following criteria:
- continuing value
- format and condition
- subject matter
- The provenance of records the NBAC seeks to acquire can be broadly stated as records of:
- nationally significant businesses
- federally registered industrial organisations
- nationally significant professional organisations and industry bodies
- individuals closely associated with business and the labour movement.
- The NBAC takes records of continuing value either to the organisation or to researchers into its custody for long-term preservation. The majority of records created, received and maintained as evidence of business activities are of short-term rather than long-term value and do not need to be preserved in archives. Generally records of continuing value comprise only a small percentage of all records created by an organisation.
- The continuing value of records is appraised in relation to administrative, legal, financial, evidential, informational, research and cultural values, and takes into account the protection of the rights and interests of the depositing organisation, its obligations to staff and clients, as well as the research interests of the general community.
Format and condition
- The NBAC accepts records in many formats: paper, photographs, maps, audio-visual material, digital images and electronic files. Records with identified conservation problems such as mould, chemical contamination or insect infestation, which would threaten the preservation of the existing collection or the health of staff, will not be accepted by the Archives until those problems are remedied.
- The NBAC has in the past concentrated on a number of subject or thematic strands in its collecting activities and will continue to collect in these areas of collecting strength. Collecting activity is not limited only to these areas, particularly in relation to new and emerging industries in the manufacturing and information sectors.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Noel Butlin archives centre collecting|
|Purpose||To define the material which the Noel Butlin Archives Centre seeks to acquire for its collection.|
|Audience||Staff- Academic, Students-Graduate-Research, Staff-Academic-Research|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Information Management - Records & Archives|
|Effective Date||30 Jun 2016|
|Next Review Date||31 Aug 2023|
|Responsible Officer:||University Librarian and Director, Scholarly Information Services|
|Contact Area||Library, Archives and University Records|
Archives Act 1983
On 9 April 2021, the ANU Council assigned authority to approve academic policy to the Academic Board.