Guideline: Role of building custodian
The purpose of this guideline is to provide Building Custodians a clear and defined role outlining their responsibilities and expectations.
- Act as first point of contact / responsible person for all notifications from the Facilities & Services Division supporting planned or reactive project & maintenance works in line with custodian’s building.
- Prior to works commencement, represent both Facilities & Services Division and the respective building / College occupants to negotiate suitable access approvals and requirements supporting occupant business needs and project and maintenance works delivery.
- Advise changes to space and buildings i.e. when space is repurposed from one use to another/change of occupant as well as any changes to the building i.e. removal of walls.
- Report all maintenance requests and liaise with the Schedulers in the Facilities and Services Division to ensure that maintenance is carried out to an agreed standard.
- Manage local security and building access arrangements and liaise with Security in Facilities and Services Division.
- Influence building and infrastructure projects on behalf of the College, including refurbishment programs and maintenance programs in partnership with the Facilities and Services Division.
- Where appropriate, manage bookings for lecture theatres, seminar rooms, and common building facilities.
- Monitor cleaning standards and liaise with Cleaning, Waste and Recycling in Facilities and Services Division.
- Monitor and report on grounds maintenance needs in the immediate vicinity of the building and advise Gardens and Grounds in Facilities and Services Division of issues/concerns.
- Monitor use of parking space and ensure parking needs of official visitors to the building are met.
- In partnership with the Sustainability Office in Facilities and Services Division, monitor energy use and misuse and encourage tenant/occupants to modify behaviour in order to achieve efficient use of waste/recycling and energy conservation issues.
- Establish in conjunction with College/School/Service Division management an Emergency Planning Committee to ensure the facility meets it responsibilities under the ANU Emergency Response Procedure
- Please note: Depending on the structure of the College, the Building Custodian and College Facilities Manager/Team Member may be the same person. As a guide, the Building Custodian is a point of contact for a building/s, whereas the College/School Facilities Manager is a formal position within the organisation.
Facilities and Services Contacts