Policy: Higher degree by research - candidature
- ANU is committed to the highest standards of excellence in research training of HDR candidates. Underpinning this is a commitment to the ANU values and the principles of:
- Distinction in research, scholarship and teaching.
- Integrity of all those involved in the supervisory relationship.
- Respect between all parties - candidates, supervisors, and staff of the University.
- Commitment to create disciplinary and/or thematic cohorts among candidates and scholars
- Accountability to the investment of time, funding, infrastructure and resources to support research training.
- Candidates follow the requirements of the Research Awards Rule and the HDR policy framework.
- There is joint responsibility with supervisors to establish reciprocal relationships and constructive partnerships.
- Responsibility of the candidate includes meeting the formal requirements, taking the initiative to address emerging challenges and opportunities, seeking to maximise productivity, monitoring and ensuring good progress.
- Candidates are responsible for compliance with any ethics requirements arising from their research.
- Candidates complete milestones as required in the Candidature Progression Procedure and as required by the Delegated Authority.
- Candidates must notify the University and seek approval for changes to their circumstances that affect any aspect of their candidature and the University’s ability to support them.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Higher degree by research - candidature|
|Purpose||To specify the expectations of a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Candidate|
|Audience||Students-Graduate-Research, Staff-Academic-Research, Students-Graduate|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Students - Higher Research Degrees|
|Effective Date||8 Jul 2020|
|Review Date||8 Jul 2023|
|Responsible Officer:||Dean, Higher Degree Research|
|Contact Area||Office of the Dean, Higher Degree Research|
Research Awards Rule 2017
On 9 April 2021, the ANU Council assigned authority to approve academic policy to the Academic Board.