Policy: Higher degree by research - candidature
To specify the expectations of a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Candidate
Candidates have ultimate responsibility for their candidature. The university does however have responsibility for supporting candidates throughout their time with the university, through the provision of appropriate supervision and resources. This document outlines the responsibilities of candidates within that framework.
This policy applies to all current HDR students.
- ANU is committed to the highest standards of excellence in research training of HDR students. Underpinning this commitment are the principles of:
- Distinction in research, scholarship and teaching.
- Integrity of all those involved in the supervisory relationship.
- Respect between all parties - students, supervisors, and staff of the University.
- Commitment to create disciplinary and/or thematic cohorts among students and scholars
- Joint responsibility with supervisors to establish reciprocal relationships and constructive partnerships. Responsibility includes meeting the formal requirements, taking the initiative to address emerging challenges and opportunities, seeking to maximise productivity, monitoring and ensuring good progress.
- Accountability so that outputs provide benefits to the student, supervisors, the University and society.
- Ongoing improvement to achieve the highest standards possible.
- Candidates follow the requirements of the Research Awards Rules and the HDR policy framework.
- With guidance, candidates are responsible for compliance with any ethics requirements arising from their research.
- Candidates complete milestones as required in the Candidature Progression Procedure or as required by the Delegated Authority.
- Candidates must complete Research Integrity Training within a reasonable timeframe, normally within the first six months of their candidature.
- Candidates ensure that the University is notified of changes to their circumstances that affect any aspect of their candidature and the University’s ability to support them, including contact details, leave, study intensity, alteration of topic, fieldwork, and external study arrangements.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Higher degree by research - candidature|
|Purpose||To specify the expectations of a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Candidate|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Students - Higher Research Degrees|
|Effective Date||1 Jan 2016|
|Review Date||1 Jan 2019|
|Responsible Officer||Dean, Higher Degree Research|
|Contact Area||Office of the Dean, Higher Degree Research|
Research Awards Rule 2017