Policy: Higher degree by research - supervision
- ANU is committed to the highest standards of excellence in supervision of HDR candidates. Underpinning this commitment are the principles of:
- Distinction in research, scholarship and teaching.
- Integrity of all those involved in the supervisory relationship.
- Respect between all parties - candidates, supervisors, and staff of the University.
- Commitment to embed candidates within disciplinary and/or thematic communities.
- Joint responsibility with candidates to establish respectful relationships and constructive partnerships.
- Fostering successful outcomes that provide benefits to the candidate, supervisors, the University and society.
- Ongoing enhancement of supervisory practice and student experience.
- Each HDR candidate receives supervision in the form of a supervisory panel, comprising a Primary Supervisor and Associate Supervisors, and a Chair of Panel either from that group or as an additional member. The panel comprises at least three people for a PhD or professional doctorate and at least two people for an MPhil.
- The supervisory panel provides knowledge, expertise, planning, and support for candidates to enhance the student experience and assist them towards successful completion.
- Supervisory panel members involved in the supervision of candidates develop their supervisory practice through both formal professional development and informal mechanisms
- All members of supervisory panels maintain any supervisory registration requirements of the University.
- Supervisory panels have a responsibility to abide by the Australian Code of Responsible Conduct of Research principles including those relating to Intellectual Property and publication.
- Supervisory panels have a responsibility to act within all relevant legislative framework requirements, including the:
- Research Awards Rule (in respect of all candidates);
- Discipline Rule;
- Academic Integrity Rule; and
- Education Services for Overseas Students Act (in respect of international candidates).
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Higher degree by research - supervision|
|Purpose||This policy defines the University expectations on supervision for Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Students.|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Students - Higher Research Degrees|
|Effective Date||21 Apr 2020|
|Next Review Date||21 Apr 2025|
|Responsible Officer:||Dean, Higher Degree Research|
|Contact Area||Office of the Dean, Higher Degree Research|
Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research, 2018 : NHMRC
Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000
Discipline Rule 2021
Academic Integrity Rule 2021
Research Awards Rule 2021