Policy: External Project funding and agreements
University values and relationships
- Funding and collaborative agreements are only sought and accepted by the University consistent with University community standards, values and interests.
- Academic freedom and integrity are paramount.
- Acceptance of agreements is at the discretion of the Vice-Chancellor or delegate.
- An agreement will not be accepted where:
- A third party requires a dominant position in the appointment of staff, or enrolment of students;
- A third party has a right to alter or interfere with, or prevent publication of an outcome generated by ANU staff and students in delivering the funded program – except for reasonable commercial, cultural or security considerations requiring appropriate delay in publication.
- A third party has a right to limit the ability of a student to meet examination requirements of the University (see also clause 8 of the Student Intellectual Property Procedure).
- The agreement places unmanageable levels of risk or liability on the University.
Funding from tobacco and related industries
- Funding from foundations primarily funded by the tobacco industry will not be accepted.
- Funding from business units of companies involved in the tobacco industry is possible only if, in the opinion of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research):
- the primary business of the donor unit is unrelated to the production, manufacture, distribution, promotion or marketing of tobacco or tobacco products; and
- acceptance of the funding cannot be construed to support the tobacco industry or the tobacco lobby and its activities.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||External Project funding and agreements|
|Purpose||The Policy describes the principles by which external funding, and other Project agreements, are sought and accepted by the University, consistent with University community standards, values and interests.|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Research - Grants & Consultancies|
|Effective Date||1 Jan 2016|
|Review Date||1 Jan 2019|
|Responsible Officer:||Director, Research Services|
|Contact Area||Research Services|
On 9 April 2021, the ANU Council assigned authority to approve academic policy to the Academic Board.