Procedure: Recording of teaching activities
This document provides support to Recording of teaching activities policy and outlines the process for ensuring recording occurs.
Teaching Activity – an instance of a class being taught
Semester –Standard teaching periods Semester 1, Semester 2
Session – Summer session, Autumn session, Winter session, Spring session
Timetable – class timetable
Echo360 - the University supported system for recording of teaching activities
Moodle - the University supported Learning Management System (LMS)
Syllabus Plus Enterprise - the University Central Timetabling System
- Wherever possible recordings are the default means of capture for a teaching activity.
Automatic Pre-Scheduling of Recordings
- All teaching activities scheduled in a venue with ANU recording facilities will be automatically recorded if, in the Central Timetabling System:
- The teaching activity is associated with a Course Code; and
- The teaching activity is not Hidden; and
- The teaching activity is associated with one of the following Activity types: 1) Class, 2) Large Group Teaching, 3) Lecture, or 4) Seminar.
- The teaching activity is not scheduled for more than 4 consecutive hours.
Recording activities which are not pre-scheduled
- A staff member can request to have any other activity type automatically recorded for a given course and semester/session by contacting Wattle Support via the ITS Service Desk.
- Additional activity types can be pre-scheduled if, in the Timetabling System:
- The teaching activity is scheduled in a venue with recording facilities; and
- The teaching activity is associated with a course code; and
- The teaching activity is not Hidden
- The teaching activity is not scheduled for more than 4 consecutive hours
Ad Hoc Recordings
- An ad hoc recording may be used for any activity that is not pre-scheduled. This may include activities:
- Where a late change to venue has occurred;
- Where a recording for a teaching activity has not been pre-scheduled;
- Ad Hoc recordings can only be initiated in venues with ANU recording facilities installed.
- Ad Hoc recordings are initiated and controlled from the lectern computer within the venue.
Not Recording Teaching Activities
- Where a staff member does not wish to automatically record teaching activities associated with a class, large group teaching, a lecture or seminar, and that course is scheduled in a facility with recording, the course convener for a course applies to the Associate Dean in writing.
- Where a staff member is provided the option of a room with recording facilities and they decline to use that room and move to a room with no recording facilities, this is considered opting out of recording.
- A request to opt out of pre-scheduled recording is per course, activity type and for a given semester or session.
- The Associate Dean Education may approve a request to opt out if the teaching method is not conducive to recording.
- Once approval has been obtained a request to opt out can be submitted to Wattle Support via the IT Service Desk.
- Where an opt out is approved by the Associate Dean the Course Convener ensures that:
- At least one of slides, notes or other learning materials are available on the Learning Management System for that course for the duration of the semester; and
- Subject to copyright requirements, materials handed out at the teaching event that support the teaching activity (e.g. handouts) are made available on the Learning Management System for that course for the duration of the semester; and
- The Course Convener may also pre-record material and make it available on the Learning Management System.
Management of Recordings
- In accordance with the Timetable Policy, a pre-scheduled recording commences at 5 minutes past the published start time and concludes at 5 minutes before the published end time.
- Recordings that commence prior or finish after this schedule are manually controlled.
- Recordings produced by the University recording system are automatically made available to enrolled students via their Course Site in the Learning Management System (LMS).
- Requests to post pone the publication of recordings to students is only permissible with the written approval of the Associate Dean, on the grounds that the recording contains inappropriate material.
- Access to control a recording or to initiate an ad-hoc recording is given to teaching staff listed for a course as recorded in the Student System.
- Access for additional staff to control or initiate recordings requires prior notification to Wattle Support via the ITS Service Desk.
- The original media file will be deleted after 120 days from the day the recording was captured. Processed recordings will still be available for streaming and download after this date, however it will not be possible to edit or reprocess recordings after this time.
Copyright, IP, and Privacy
- The Copyright in the recordings of teaching activities is either owned by or licensed to the University. Students may use the recording for personal study only. No lecture may be communicated online, copied or shared, without the prior permission of the University. This is in accordance with ‘Copyright in Lectures including recordings: a guideline’
- Ownership of Educational Materials used in the teaching activity is in accordance with the ANU Intellectual Property (IP) Policy.
- The collection of student information through their use of the recording system is in accordance with the Echo360 Privacy Statement.
- Signage must be prominently displayed in venues where teaching activity capture occurs to ensure that participants are aware that they may be recorded.
- Course Conveners inform guest lecturers that the activity will be recorded and the recording will be available to staff and students.
- Lecturers are responsible for ensuring that inappropriate material is not included in the recording or is edited out before a recording is released to students. Inappropriate material includes but is not limited to:
- Defamatory comments
- Sensitive or personal information
- Where there is no licence to use third party copyright Materials used in their Course Materials, where the use of the third party copyright work falls outside ‘fair use’.
- Personal recordings by members of the audience are not permitted without the express written permission of the presenter.
- Feedback regarding ANU recording facilities is provided via the ANU Service Desk.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Recording of teaching activities|
|Purpose||This document provides support to Recording of teaching activities policy and outlines the process for ensuring recording occurs.|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Teaching & Learning|
|Effective Date||11 May 2016|
|Review Date||11 May 2019|
|Responsible Officer||Registrar, Student Administration|
|Approved By:||Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)|
|Contact Area||Division of Student Administration|