Policy: Academic title - Distinguished Educator
To outline the policy for use of the title Distinguished Educator at ANU by current Distinguished Educators. New awards of the title ceased at the end of 2018.
This policy sets out principles that underpin the title Distinguished Educator and the tenure and expectations related to the title.
This policy applies to all ANU Distinguished Educators.
The title Distinguished Educator is one of a number of mechanisms ANU employs to support, recognise, promote and reward good learning and teaching. Other methods used include: Academic Professional Development programs; the ANU Educational Fellowship Scheme; the Vice-Chancellor’s Awards for Excellence in Education; the ANU Education Grants and the Academic Promotions Policy.
- The use of the title Distinguished Educator is restricted to those formally appointed by contract before the end of 2018 for the term of the appointment (normally five years). No Distinguished Educators program have been appointed since 2018.
- ANU academic staff are conferred with the title Distinguished Educator in recognition of eminence and sustained exceptional performance in relation to teaching and learning.
- Eligibility applies to full-time or part-time academic staff of the University.
- Selection for appointments is focused on the recognition of expertise, eminence and sustained achievement in education, as demonstrated through various forms of evidence.
- Selection for appointments is based upon merit, demonstrated through a transparent and rigorous process and consistent with the recognition of equal opportunity.
- The appointments are in alignment with University strategy and legislative obligations.
- The role of the Distinguished Educator is helping to lead, at a strategic level, innovation in education at ANU including idea generation, discussion and mentoring. This includes the sharing of innovative practice in higher education and the creation and sharing of resources.
- This policy is to be disestablished on either 19 December 2023 or the date that there are zero Distinguished Educators.
Privileges and responsibilities of Distinguished Educator
9. Distinguished Educators:
- receive a superannuable loading of $10,000 per annum;
- are appointed for a period of five years; and
- participate in innovation in education at ANU including idea generation, discussion and mentoring up to 10% FTE (half day a week).
Review or withdrawal of title
10. ANU reserves the right to review or withdraw the title and any associated privileges and conditions if the Vice-Chancellor deems that the individual is no longer:
- contributing sufficiently or in fulfilment of expectations to education activities of the University; or
- employed by the University.