Procedure: Work health and safety management review
- This procedure applies to all meetings where WHS management system elements are reviewed, discussed and consulted on at the University.
Approved University WHS Governance Structure
- The diagram of the approved University WHS Governance Structure can be found here.
WHS management review meetings
- Members of senior leadership at the University meet at various forums to review the WHS management system effectiveness including:
- Council meetings in which WHS is a standing agenda item and when Annual WHS Report is reviewed in detail as an agenda item;
- University WHS Committee meetings.
- The WHS management review is conducted annually in the final University WHS Committee Meeting of the calendar year.
- Agenda items of the WHS management review include:
- the extent to which ANU WHS Plan objectives, targets, key performance measures and overall key performance indicators have been met;
- WHS Management System performance including trends in:
- internal and external audit results;
- incident root causes and any nonconformities;
- corrective actions;
- WHSMS implementation status; and
- change of hazards and risks;
- key WHS legislative and other requirement changes, their influence on University operations and the University’s actions in responding to the changes;
- status of actions arising from the previous management review;
- resourcing requirement for adequately implement and maintain the WHS Management System; and
- opportunities for continual improvement.
- The outcome of the WHS management review including any actions arising from the review will be documented in details in the final University WHS Committee Meeting minutes.
- The Associate Director, Work Environment Group, (AD WEG) is responsible for providing the outcome of management review in the Annual WHS Report to the Director, Human Resources for endorsement.
- The Chief Operating Officer (COO) sponsors the endorsed Annual WHS Report for Council meetings.
- Council reviews the Annual WHS Report in detail, approves the reports and directs/advises (as appropriate) the University Executive of any recommended courses of action. This allows for visibility of the University’s WHS performance, including trends and issues.
Training and competency
- There are no training or competency requirements for implementing WHS management reviews.
Legal and other requirements
Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (Cth)
Work Health and Safety Regulations 2011 (Cth)
AS/NZ 45001:2018 Occupational health and safety management systems
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Title||Work health and safety management review|
|Purpose||This procedure describes how the Australian National University (ANU) reviews the management systems for the work health and safety, rehabilitation and claims management systems (WHS).|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Health, Safety & Environment - Occupational Health & Safety|
|Effective Date||1 Jul 2017|
|Review Date||1 Jul 2023|
|Responsible Officer:||Director, Human Resources|
|Approved By:||Chief Operating Officer|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
Work Health & Safety Act 2011
Work Health and Safety Regulations 2011