Policy: Underage student management
To state the principles governing the admission, learning,support and protection of students under the legal age of 18 years (underage students).
The University fulfils its duty of care recognising it has additional responsibilities for students who are below legal age with respect to their welfare, learning and student experience.
This policy applies to students and academic and professional staff involved with students who, at the commencement of their program,are under 18 years of age. It does not apply to underage students enrolled in ANU Extension and/or ANU College programs.
- The University places restrictions on the admission of students under the age of 18. This ensures:
- upholding the independence and academic rigour of the University environment, learning, and teaching;
- the capacity and maturity to engage with academic content on the part of the student;
- decision making capability on the part of the student;
- capacity and suitability of staff to be engaged with vulnerable students; and
- compliance with federal legislation including the National Code.
- The University admits international students under the age of 18 where:
- admission is compliant with Standard 5 of the National Code;
- appropriate accommodation and welfare arrangements are in place prior to applying for a student visa;
- the arrangements are approved by the University;
- the arrangements are in place for the duration of the Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (ECoE) plus seven days or until the student turns 18; and
- the student is not significantly disadvantaged by studying when under 18.
- The University only admits international students under the age of 18 under the following living arrangements:
- the student lives with a parent or eligible relative of good character over the age of 21;
- the student lives in a University Hall of Residence;
- the student organises accommodation with an ANU approved homestay provider and a guardian through an ANU approved guardian service, and pays any fees and costs associated with these arrangements; and
- where the student has been living in homestay prior to admission to ANU and wishes to continue to reside there.