Procedure: Class summary (for 2019 onwards)
For 2018 and earlier please refer to Course Outline procedure ANUP 000698
To describe the University’s requirements regarding the preparation, review and provision of class summaries for coursework courses.
This procedure applies from 2019 onwards.
- The University’s class summary template in the Curriculum Management System is used to develop a class summary for every coursework class offered in a teaching period.
- Class summaries are written in English. Non-English versions may be offered in addition to English versions upon approval by the relevant College Education Committee.
- Class summaries are approved by the Associate Dean or their nominee(s).
- Class summaries are made available to students no less than two weeks prior to the start of the class.
- Amendment to any section of any class summary after the second week of the semester or trimesters, or after 10% of a class taught in a non-standard session has elapsed, are approved by the Associate Dean or their nominee(s). Where possible students are consulted about the proposed amendments and their feedback communicated to the Associate Dean before the Associate Dean or their nominee(s) approves the changes. Approvals are only considered in cases of serious, unforeseen and documented cases of needs. Students enrolled in the course are notified of any changes approved by the Associate Dean or their nominee(s).
- Class summaries form part of the evidence used by Colleges to make determinations about the reaccreditation of courses.
- The class summary template in the Curriculum Management System supports regular and triggered course reviews undertaken by Colleges.
- Approved class summaries are published on the University’s online handbook, Programs and Courses.
- The class summary page on Programs and Courses will display the following template information:
- Course code [Fixed value]
- Class number [new] [Fixed value]
- Title of the course [Fixed text]
- Course description [Fixed text from course information]
- Teaching period offered (term description) [new]
- Class start/end dates [new]
- Census date [new] [Fixed date]
- Last date to enrol [new] [Fixed date]
- Mode of delivery
- Course convener name
- Course convener contact details such as phone, email, hours for student consultation
- Lecturer(s) contact details such as phone, email, hours for student consultation
- Learning outcomes
- Teaching period schedule (week, summary of activities, assessment)
- Assessment requirements (use of Turnitin) [Fixed text]
- Moderation of assessment [new]
- Assessment summary description
- Assessment summary including assessment task, due date, percentage allocation, date for return of assessment, linked learning outcomes
- Assignment submission (online and hardcopy)
- Assessment task participation [new]
- Extensions and penalty information [Fixed text]
- Referencing requirements [Fixed text]
- Late submission of assignments [new]
- Relevant policies (Grading scale, mark moderation, privacy notice, Distribution of Grades, Academic Integrity) [Fixed text]
- Marks that are allocated during semester are to be considered provisional until formalised by the College Examiners' meeting at the end of each semester. If appropriate, some moderation of marks might be applied prior to final results being released. [Fixed text]
- Student feedback [Fixed text]
- Student support services [Fixed text]
- The class summary page may display these optional fields on the template:
- Class description
- Research-led teaching features
- Required resources
- Additional course costs
- Recommended resources
- Examination material or equipment details
- Resubmission of assignments
- Returning assignments
- Course convener’s research interests
- Administrator contact details such as phone and email
- Staff feedback expectations for students
- Assessment rubric (Criteria and other fields specified by designer) [new]
- Tutor contact details such as phone, email
- Demonstrator contact details such as phone, email
- Field trip details
- Tutorial registration information
- Other information for publication on P&C [new]
- Other information not for publication on P&C
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Purpose||To describe the University’s requirements regarding the preparation, review and provision of class summaries for coursework courses.|
|Audience||Staff-Academic, Students, Students-Graduate-Coursework, Prospective Students, Students-Undergraduate, Students-Graduate-Research, Staff, Staff-Professional, Students-Graduate, Students-NonAward|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Teaching & Learning|
|Effective Date||31 Aug 2018|
|Review Date||31 Aug 2021|
|Responsible Officer||Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)|
|Contact Area||Division of Student Administration|
Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2015