- As individual needs of each family vary, the University enables staff and students to negotiate flexible work and study arrangements that meet the needs of the staff member or student as well as operational requirements.
- Staff and students negotiate with their supervisors/course conveners on flexible arrangements to take lactation breaks during the day.
- Lactation breaks are accommodated within flexible working arrangements.
- ANU provides dedicated parenting facilities throughout the Acton campus and at the Mount Stromlo facility in which staff and students can express breastmilk, breastfeed or store milk. The University reviews facilities as the need arises.
- Guidelines for establishing parenting facilities at campus locations outside Canberra are contained in the Breastfeeding procedure.
- Staff and students can breastfeed anywhere on the University campuses, with the exclusion of the locations noted in Appendix A of the Children on Campus policy, which are deemed inherently dangerous and/or hazardous to children.
- Staff and students bringing a child on campus for the purpose of breastfeeding should be aware of the impact this may have on the work or study environment of other staff and students. Staff and students must comply with the University’s Work Health and Safety policy and the University's Children on Campus policy. All children are excluded from Hazardous and Restricted Locations defined in Appendix A of the Children on Campus Policy.
- Responsibility and authority under this policy operates across the following levels.
- promoting policy and procedures through Student Advisors and through other relevant Student Experience activities as appropriate and;
- providing information regarding the ANU Breastfeeding policy and procedures and other relevant procedures to students when requested.
Managers/Supervisors and Course Convenors
Staff and Students
- negotiating flexible arrangements for lactation breaks with their Manager or Supervisor/Course Convenor in line with operational and study requirements and the provisions of this policy and the Breastfeeding procedure and;
- when bringing a child or children on campus, complying with University policy documents including Children on Campus.
- The University will ensure that staff and students do not engage in behaviour that discriminates against other persons, either directly or indirectly, on the basis of breastfeeding. The University has established procedures for dealing with complaints, including the Student complaint resolution policy and procedure; Staff grievance resolution policy and procedure; the ANU Code of Conduct and the procedure for Prevention of discrimination, harassment and bullying.
|Printable version (PDF)|
|Purpose||To promote a safe and inclusive environment for breastfeeding and expressing on the University campus and to set out rights and responsibilities relating to breastfeeding and expressing.|
|Topic/ SubTopic||Equity & Diversity - Work & Life Balance|
|Effective Date||4 Jun 2020|
|Review Date||4 Jun 2023|
|Responsible Officer:||Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Student and University Experience)|
|Contact Area||Human Resources Division|
On 9 April 2021, the ANU Council assigned authority to approve academic policy to the Academic Board.